Saturday, July 24, 2010

Croup

Since Dave and I are still living with Dave's family, Lincoln is still sleeping in our room. 

At around 12:30 in the morning Dave and I heard weasing and coughing sounds coming from Lincoln's basinet.  My first thought was that he was having some kind of allergic reaction.  Dave went right over to him and jerked him out of bed thinking he was choking or something.  Then I flipped on the light so that we could see if he was turning blue.  Then he started crying and having more trouble breathing.

Can you blame him though, you are fast asleep when all of a sudden you find that you cannot breathe, then someone yanks you out of bed and starts pounding on your back, and lastly all the lights in the room are flipped on and everyone is staring at you...I think I would start crying too.

To make a long story short, we took Lincoln to the ER and by the time we got there he looked find.  He was happy as a clam smiling at everyone.  The longer we sat in the waiting room the more I regretted bringing him in.  But fortunately, the internet, nurses, and doctor told us we did the right thing by bringing him in.  The only sign that anything was wrong was went he got upset when they took his temp...rectally. Then the cough and weasing sound that we heard reappeared.

Fortunately, all he needed was a dose of oral steroids. 

9 comments:

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

yikes, glad he's ok!

Ria said...

nice blog

Ria said...

blog visit

Lisa Petrarca said...

I learned that if you're not sure, it's better to be safe & take them in to be checked. My son had bacterial meningitis & the only symptoms were a severe headache & fever.

Luckily I took him in right away & after 1 week in the childrens hospital he was ok! Very scary...you did the right thing.

theDave said...

I was giving him the heimlich maneuver!

HomemadeMother said...

So scary! We recently had to rush my baby son to the hospital when he spiked a 103 degree fever. It isn't any fun at all!!

MEREMEKE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

que hermosa tu pág.Te felicito.Saludos de argentina
Mariela y Lilén

http://www.creacionesdelilen.es.tl

House of Tong said...

Poor kid but go 'Rents for acting so fast!! Hopefully he doesn't remember the part of the thermometer. lol