Friday, May 1, 2009

Sick Payton


On our way back from San Clemente I noticed that Payton felt a little warm but figured it was just because it was so stinkin' hot. However, on Monday she still felt hot to me. When I took her temperature it said 103.8. I thought, "that can't be good". I called my mom because I was afraid I didn't take the temperature right (we have one of those arterial scanner thingys). My mom said she was on her way over and to call Payton's doctor.

The first thing the doctor said was that the type of thermometer we used was not an accurate way to take her temp but that she needed to be seen. She said to give her baby motrin and to come in. Well, I ran to the drug store and got the motrin and gave it to her. We then spent the next hour or so sitting in the waiting room. By the time we were seen her temperature was down to 99.6. The doctor couldn't find anything wrong with her and said that if she still had a temperature the next morning we would need to take her in to have a blood test and urine screen incase she had a Urinary Track Infection.

Unfortunately, the next morning her temp was back up over 101. So off we went to the hospital to have her lab work done. To take a urine sample on a baby they take a little bag with a hole surrounded by sticky tape. So that when they pee it goes into the bag. We put that on her then she had to have the blood draw, where I basically had to lay on top of Payton to keep her still so that they could take her blood. Sadly, they could not get her vein. They dug around in her arm for what seemed like five minutes before giving up. I hate hearing Payton scream in pain and I hate seeing her in pain. Fortunately, a new person that tried the other arm and was able to get it on the first try. And fortunately, she peed while going through all that so we didn't have to wait around any longer.

Good news! No UTI and bad news just a virus. The doctor said that her temp should break within 5 - 6 days! What?!?!?! I am so glad she is on the mend and is feeling better now.

I don't like my baby being sick! But you gotta love the sick hair...

1 comment:

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

poor thing! It kills me when she has to get shots, so I can imagine it would be much worse to have blood drawn! Glad she's feeling better!