Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wisdom Teeth

When I found out that I needed to have my wisdom teeth removed I heard many, many people’s experiences. The majority of the experiences I heard were not that bad. Dave even said he was out playing basketball the day after. Boy was I surprised when a week later my mouth was still hurting and I was still loopy on Vicodin.

The drugs they gave me during the procedure were awesome! I didn’t feel a thing. The last thing I remember before the surgery was talking about how the assistant was going to put Vaseline on my lips to keep them from getting chapped and then I woke up. Drugs can definitely do funny things to you, Dave told me that when I woke up I asked “Is my doctor a real doctor?”, “Can I go running tomorrow?”, and other things I dare not mention. :O) The other thing is that I don’t have any recollection of what the doctor and nurses talked to me about after I came to. It is a good thing Dave takes good notes!

When I came home I felt pretty good. Actually the whole night I felt pretty good. The next morning however, was a different story. It seemed all the Vicodin did was make me loopy because it sure didn’t help much with the pain. It wasn’t until the doctor suggested taking the Vicodin with an IBprofin chaser an hour later that I started getting some relief. Unfortunately, that combination also made me a zombie. I don’t know if I ended up with a dry socket or if I am just a wimp, but the oral surgeon decided to pack the hole to help alleviate the pain I was having. I swear that packing was voodoo medicine because it started feeling better almost as soon as they put it in. Thank goodness!

During this process Dave and my mother were my great. I know my mom didn’t sign up to be my nurse/mother’s helper for a week after, but she did it and did it well. I am so grateful for them both!

Before

After