Friday, March 6, 2009

Marshmellow Mateys and Door Stops

How many of us while in college were poor and couldn't afford the regular name brand cereal? I know I was. During this time I loved Marshmellow Mateys. I could and did eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Did you know they still made them? I have been shopping for our cereal at Costco for so long that I hadn't even been down the cereal isle at the grocery store in long time. Well, I happened by them the other day and had to get some. Dave even seemed excited about them.

So Payton has found the doorstops and thinks they are the funnest things to plays with. It was really funny this morning, she kept flicking it and then turning around to look at me with a big smile on her face. It really is the simple things, isn't it.

I have been reading the book "Trees Make the Best Mobiles" and yesterday I read something that really made me think. The chapter I was reading was talking about "real" quality time. It said to try and immerse yourself fully in what you child is doing, even for twenty minutes, even just once a day...Don't feel you need to intereact, especially to direct or simulate. Just sit against the wall and watch her gurgle or play. Let her know that she's not competing for your attention with the grocery list or with your assignment for tomorrow's meeting with a client. That single focus is what your child craves.

I always feel like I need to entertain Payton. I never thought to just sit and watch her play. So I did it yesterday, I just sat on the floor with her and watched her play. It seemed that she really enjoyed herself. She played great on her own and kept smiling at me. It was fun.

Gotta love the tights!

2 comments:

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

I love doing that, just watching her bounce in her jumper or whatever. I'm glad she likes to play by herself sometimes, it gives me time to..think! lol. She also loves looking at trees, that book sounds good!

Cassy said...

I need to do that. I totally get wrapped up in other stuff. But Rayne STILL loves doorstops too! Too cute!