Monday, January 4, 2010

Sickos

On the first day of Christmas Ashley's got a cold...On the twelvth day of Christmas everyone in the Ahlgren household is sick.

Man, this cold or virus or whatever it is has really hit all of us hard. I think everyone here has a slightly different version of the same thing. From Ashley having a sinus infection paired with a really bad cough all the way to Ralph with phnemonia or broncitis. What's worse is Ashley is still sick after almost two weeks. Yikes!

I'd like to think I handle being sick pretty well but pair it with this being my third night not being able to sleep and I am a baby. My woes all started Thursday...

Thursday - getting a stuffed up nose.

Friday - contractions all day long starting at 20 minutes apart then ending up at 15 minutes apart. Friday night contractions move from 15 minutes apart to 10 minutes apart, Payton gets sick with a runny nose and cough and ends up sleeping with Dave and I. Just picture it Payton not wanting anything to do with Dave, laying sprawled on me, pushing Dave out of bed all while I am having contractions.

Saturday - finally fell asleep at around 7AM for about an hour. Contractions stop. What? Yup, well for about an hour then pick up again at 15 minutes apart. Exhausted, Contracting all day, and can't breathe. Saturday night Payton sleeps in her own bed and seems to sleep really well. Lucky girl, now left side of my face starts to feel as though it is going to explode. My teeth on top and bottom hurt. Can't sleep. Ugghh. Contractions continue through the night getting worse. I finally decide at 4 just to try and read. Then at 5 I decide that maybe a shower would make me fell better. At that point my contractions move from 10 minutes apart to 5 minutes apart. They become more and more painful over the next hour and a half. So I decide maybe it is time to pack my bag for the hospital. :O) Just as I was getting ready to wake Dave up to see if he wanted to take a shower before leaving for the hospital they backed off to every 10 minutes. So I decided maybe I will try and rest a little. For the next hour or so I woke up every 15 minutes to even worse contractions. Then all of a sudden I wake up 2 hours later and not a single contraction for a few hours. Argh, not again.

Sunday - I am very uncomfortable, sinus headache and random contractions throughout the day that make me want to cry. I finally decide to call the on call doctor about what I imagine is a sinus infection. Luckily the on call doctor is my doctor. She prescribes me an antibiotic and tells me of some other things I can take to make me more confortable until the antibitics kick in. She also says that it is not uncommon for contractions to do what mine have been doing. She said once they get to 5 minutes apart or less for an hour or two and are painful then you are considered in active labor. Painful? I thought the contractions that I had been having for the last two days were painful. Today they got progressively worse. How much worse are they going to get? When are they going to regulate again? Am I going to be able to handle them every 5 minutes? Why do I want to try and have a VBAC again?

As you can probably gather from the time of this post I am not sleeping well tonight either. I am patiently waiting for the next time I can shoot Afrin up my nose and listening to Payton cry every 20 minutes. Nice! Tomorrow is going to be fun.

2 comments:

Cassy said...

Poor baby! Don't worry it will be over soon and you will have a beautiful new baby boy to show for all your hard work! :)

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

ugh! not so fun, huh? hopefully you'll have this little guy soon and be done! (with the pregnancy at least...then you will have a newborn..)

good luck!