Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pilgrim Hat Cookies

 So last week my friend Jessica made pilgrim hat cookies as the dessert for our playdate.  They were so cute and very tastey!

I am always looking for activities to do with Payton and thought that making these cookies for our Thanksgiving dinner would be fun.  Why didn't I forsee the mess this project was going to make.  Ha!  Ha!


I did learn something from making these cookies with Payton.  When I set out to do activities like this I need to have in mind the outcome I would like to have.  Do I want perfect little pilgrim hat cookies to display at Thanksgiving or do I want Payton and I to have a blast doing something together.

If it is that I want perfect little pilgrim hat cookies, don't have Payton help; just make them during her nap or something.  Being a perfectionist and a little on the anal side will not cater to a fun outcome.  Just a stressed out mommy saying, "Stop!", "No, don't touch that", "Don't lick your fingers", "Payton, it is dripping..."  I think you get the idea. 

If I want Payton to have a blast, why not just let her dip the marshmellows into the chocolate with her fingers.  So what if the marshmellows are half hanging off the cookies, just let them be her little creations. 

I wish I would have learned the lesson before making the cookies instead of after.  I think she still had a good time.  :)



Another thing I wish I would have learned prior to making the cookies is that you need a cake decorating tip for the premade frosting tubes... My buckles look horrible, it was like trying to make a nice line while squeezing the frosting through a garden hose.

Dave told me to tell everyone that Payton put the frosting on...


1 comment:

Cassy said...

I am so on board with the perfectionist thing! It used to drive me crazy letting Rayne "help" because it never turned out how it was "supposed" to. Now I just let her do her own thing and try not to let my perfectionism speak :)

cressehs